Sunday, October 25, 2015

NATURAL EDUCATION and the QUIRKY CHILD - Part Seven




PART SEVEN

* * *
You know how people say “It’s important to listen to your child’s hopes and dreams.” I thought of that when our older boys were little and they used to wake up in the morning and tell me exceptionally long portions of their dreams that involved spaceships and getting to a planet and finding it was a supermarket but at the back there was a tunnel, and Sonic said “ZZZ is waiting for us with Mario” .. and I patiently sat and listened. What a good Mummy. This, of course is not what the inventor of the term “hopes and dreams” was meaning.

And now I shall bore you with a dream I had a few years back. I was selling things at a market stall, and everything I was selling, all the little trinkets and games and fiddly things – they were all iridescent. Actually, that’s all I’ll tell because that was the most important thing - the word was impressed upon my head, iridescent … iridescent … even after waking, and apparently, just as a side note, people with normal brains – neurotypical people tend not to be able to hold onto tightly to music or ideas from their dreams quite so easily as quirky people. It seems that the reality of life is “more real” to them, and it presses down upon their dreams after they wake and the dreams burst like thin soap bubbles. But quirky people, for whatever reason, may be able to hold those ideas, snatches of music, whole songs, computer information for a game they are making etc, and even after waking and starting their day, if they are not overly stressed or made anxious (and, unfortunately a lot of people on the spectrum become anxious as soon as they wake up – especially children on the spectrum who have to go to school), the idea can formulate and grow in their minds.

Well, back to my dream with IRIDESCENT – first I looked it up, thinking that if God had impressed this on my mind there would be a meaning. And I found that iridescent means:

Showing luminous colours that seem to change when seen from different angles – or
shining with many different colours when seen from different angles.

In Latin iris means ‘rainbow’, and escent means ‘I become’.

Quirky children are iridescent.

When I figured this out I was once again so grateful that God had directed me toward home education 20 years ago, and more than that, he showed me natural home education where our children can indeed shine with many different colours when seen from different angles. There has been no muddying of their rainbows, their bubbles have not been popped, they are bright and shining. And if people look at them and can’t see that, then they’re looking at them from the WRONG ANGLE.

Just recently I received a very big compliment from a psychologist who had been working with one of our children. She said it was a joy to meet our family and that our children were so ALIVE. I was boosted and encouraged greatly hearing this.

Speaking of psychologists I'd just like to say a quick note on diagnosis and labels.
Quirky is not a problem in itself, but if it gets to the stage where it starts to ruin a life, gets in the way of relationships, makes others have to walk on egg-shells around them, or you have a persistant and nagging thought that something isn't quite right and you're worried that ignoring or denying that there is a problem will lead to bigger problems later in this person's life, then you might need to find someone to help.

Finding the right person to assess and diagnose yourself or your child, or your husband or wife, is still rather a hit and miss affair as so much is still being learned about the wiring of the brain. In a nutshell, apparently, and I'd like to come back to that word APPARENTLY in a bit, but in a nutshell, it seems that quirky people, those on the higher functioning end of the autism spectrum have all the right bits of the brain there – it's the connections that are either missing or wired up differently. This may not be a problem at all for some “differently wired” people, but in today's society problems ARE going to happen at some point.

For myself I remember it starting when my mother took me to a playgroup. It was held in a large church hall. Each corner of the hall was set out with exciting activities or play equipment. The noise and the action were too much for me. I clung to my Mum. I think she stayed with me for a while to see if I'd like it, but then she took me home. Home was wonderful! A place of quiet and calm, familiarity and predictability. The next big shock for me was school. We'd just moved from London to Nelson and were staying in a motel until Dad's work could get the company house ready for us short-term till he bought a house. Over the road from the motel was Hampden Street school. I felt dizzy and sick, and cried and sobbed like my heart was breaking. I felt like my head was going to explode and it’s a wonder I could even breath. I remember the feeling even now. My Mum had to leave. I didn’t get any better. The school called for my big brother to come out of his classroom and sit with me – very tiresome for him. Then joyously but rather painfully, I fell down some concrete steps and fractured my collarbone and was off school for quite some months.

Over the years my quirkiness remained, but I was quiet and quirky, not bothering anyone much. Mum and Dad said they were always worried that I didn't have friends to do things with. I was much happier on my own, reading, making dolls houses but not playing with them, teaching myself to type, daydreaming, writing, writing and more writing - I didn't see a problem with it.

I didn’t think my quirkiness noticed too much – but Steve noticed it. He loved that I was different and I am very grateful that he chose me. Well, he said that he had no choice, I was pursuing him. I fell in love very quickly with Steve. He was different too. Subsequently we have been blessed with seven quirky children. Well, perhaps the baby is neuortypical, we'll see – but the 5 year old right up to the 21 year old are Aspies or Aspergians – my darling, beautiful children.

As I said, being assessed and diagnosed isn't an easy path. I believe it will get better as the experts get their act together and consult more with adults who are on the spectrum or wired differently themselves. There still seems to be a big gap between what the professionals know about Aspergers and what the Aspies themselves have figured out, especially in relation to women and girls on the spectrum.

There are only TWO things are known for sure about quirkiness – this is my own deep and intelligent theory – I came up with it one day whilst feeding the baby: “Quirkiness is either genetic – or it's not”. So, I was wondering, are quirky children happier if they are raised by quirky parents? Only if they’re quirky ACCEPTING and SUPPORTIVE parents. Regular parents can be accepting and supportive too I guess. I DO know that children are not happy when the parents major on intolerance, unhealthy authoritarism, lack of interest, neglect and criticism. Regular children are unhappy in this situation, and quirky children are EXTREMELY unhappy and could EASILY be driven to drastic measures which would break your heart to hear about.

Apparently – and there's the word “apparently” again, I WILL come to that in a minute, traits of the autism spectrum can be likened to puzzle pieces. One piece may be “uncomfortable in crowds” another may be “exhausted by social contact” another may be “interest bordering on obsession with particular subjects for extended times” and another might be “not able to work out what other people are thinking” or “becomes anxious very easily” etc. A person may have one or two of those traits, and they also may have worked out ways to deal with those challenges in everyday life. However, when a person has many of those traits – so many puzzle pieces that the picture of autism starts to be come very clear, then they are sure to have problems with life – either obviously – showing on the outside (yelling, screaming, hitting things, self-harm) or turned internally (lack of self-respect, eating disorders, inability to form relationships, dishonesty to avoid confrontations, beating themselves up about not coping, withdrawal from society etc). That's when a diagnosis CAN help – someone acknowledges the severity of the symptoms, and is able to give it a name which then, in theory means you can seek assistance, research ways that can help, find others who may have real-life solutions for you and hopefully move ahead.
However, even if you only see a few puzzle pieces – a few traits then those things are still deserving of REAL acceptance, not denial. If someone does not like crowds then it is respectful to nut out what exactly is going on. Does their pulse race, do they sweat, is their mind buzzing annoyingly, are they unable to think or move? Or are they tired in a crowd, enjoying the social contact but it makes them weary? Do they WANT to learn how to deal with being in a crowd? Then help them take steps to that result.

No comments:

Post a Comment