Saturday, October 24, 2015

HOME EDUCATION and the QUIRKY CHILD - Part Four



PART FOUR

* * *


Often very young children WANT to do the sweeping and the helping and I would never suggest pushing those little ones away. Slow down with your tasks and take your eyes off the personal things you'd like to get done in a day. Quirky children, and especially those gifted or on the autism spectrum may need to be taught over and over, and over and over for years and years in relation to life skills. You must keep your relationship with them sweet and close for those lessons to be of any value.



Montessori education is a good source of ideas for life skills – make a list so you can revisit it from time to time. There are things such as dusting, carrying a chair correctly, opening and closing drawers, weeding the garden, first aid, cleaning up dropped food, setting the table – so many skills that we presume children will pick up, and sometimes they do, but we mustn't presume they will. I have included some ideas on the handout to get you started with your own list.

Just a note that our older boys are now extremely competent with many aspects of life skills, despite my lack of early training with them. I attended a session in a flatting workshop with our oldest that he was encouraged to do. I was shocked at the skills they need to teach the young people – things we took for granted as being part of normal life (like how to use a 2nd hand shop, looking for flats on trademe, how to consider other people that you live with) – but there are young people who have never been taught these things. It confirmed to me that I had done ok even though in the early years I thought I’d dropped the ball on these issues.

It can be very difficult with some children to get them interested in learning these skills – and there is no use pushing them. Internal motivation is required. Figure out for your child what motivates them. One of the best internal motivations is for a child to want to be with you, spending time talking, relaxing and discussing something with you whilst the task is being done. This is the sort of safe and comfortable environment where a child will learn and retain much of what they do. It also builds strong and pleasant memories for them. If YOU are doing the task, and they are free to come alongside you, even if they forget what they are doing and sit and talk instead, then they are still learning and seeing the task take place.

Gifted and quirky children need to see the value in what they are doing, they should care about how and what they do, be really engrossed and interested in the subject, see a reward of some sort awaiting them – short and long-term goals set by themselves, but they might need you to figure that out for them.

Just a note there on motivation. When I first learned that children on the spectrum can be very hard to motivate, that they tend to automatically think “What’s in it for me?” I was unhappy with that “I don’t think that’s good enough!” was the thought that sprung to my mind. However, most frustratingly I have found it to be extremely evident in a couple of our children. It can look like extreme self-centredness, or selfishness – but it’s not. Maybe people could say it’s a character flaw, or something needs to be overcome. Yes, and yes – but the biggest challenge is knowing HOW to overcome the “What’s in it for me?” In the case of one of our children I know we have come a long way, but it is still a great struggle for him – and I’m not sure exactly HOW we overcame the problem. I’d say it had a lot to do with keeping our relationship healthy, gentle pushing – just the right amount – but overall not expecting him to do more than he was able to do.



I’ve heard that gifted children can be caught up in a cycle of arguing and looking like they are underachieving because people are trying to motivate them to their highest potential. I remember our oldest seemed to have what I called “a holiday from using his brain” from around age 8 to about 18. In my heart I knew that backing off was the right thing to do, and it was a blessing that with lots of morning sickness and babies in those years I did back off a lot. When he appeared to switch his brain back on it was revealed that A MASSIVE amount of learning and figuring out had gone on all those years. I was so blessed that I hadn’t pushed and pushed him. When I look back on the written work (the “proof” that we were doing “schoolwork”) that this boy produced during those years it was pretty minimal, and half-hearted, and I realise now that it even that work wasn’t necessary for this particular child. In fact, in consultation with our second oldest he gave me this absolute gem of information. If you get nothing else out of this talk I hope you will remember this. My son said that rather than reading through a textbook (a good, carefully chosen textbook, like the science books by Dr Jay Wile – highly recommended ) and then writing questions and answers – it would have been much more beneficial to read the book through, as though you were reading a lovely novel. Discuss things that come up naturally, not labouring the “educational value” of the book - allow children to interrupt with questions or comments (this used to drive my husband mad when he first started reading to the children – I had forgotten to warn him that children “interrupting”, respectfully, was actually an incredibly effective way to read a book together) – so you read the book through, chatting comfortably, and when you finish the book you put it on the shelf and get it down next year or after some other space of time and read it again, enjoying it like a classic piece of literature. When my son told me this it was like scales fell from my eyes and I realised how solid this piece of information was he was giving me. Of course! If you’re learning a foreign language you don’t try and rush through book one and say “There – I’ve read it, now onto book two”. That would be hopeless if you hadn’t digested and remembered everything from book one. As soon as a new concept came up in book two you’d be thinking “Vas vollen ze what?” And so, would it be good to push yourself on, finish book two and go onto book three? No, no no! Read the book, enjoy it, digest what you can. Put it on the shelf then bring it out again.

It reminds me of the Five In A Row series where each day, for five days, you read a picture book, and at the end of the reading you look at one aspect of that book – whether it be the artwork, or where it was set in the world. Once this is learned it can be used quite naturally with any book you read. The book and the learning becomes the child’s “own”, and they often joy in sharing what they remember from it when the subject comes up again. Beware of spoiling the book for the child if they don’t want to do this though.

I just thought as I wrote that “I WANT” and “I DON’T WANT” are a nasty part of human nature. We can squash that down in a child, like the little boy who was told to sit down several times, and then finally did but mumbled “I’m still standing up on the inside” – or we can lead the children gently away from these I want, I don’t want battles inside by building a positive relationship with them where they feel they can really communicate with you.



Back to life skills – another excellent way to have the children learn life skills and do a share of work is to schedule the tasks before a desired activity. Most of you will know this tactic, but it can really requires some detective work on your part to know what sort of activity will be exciting enough to keep the motivation going. I use this for myself as I am what I've called an EVHDP which is Extremely Very Highly Distracted Person. If I am writing or drawing or listening to music I can stay on task beautifully! But changing sheets, drying the dishes, getting all the socks, books, toys and papers out from under the bed of the child who struggles with organisation, making a shopping list, putting washing away … those things are very hard for me to stay on task with. So I keep in mind a nice treat that I will allow myself when I have finished – it might be doing a bit of knitting, or some art. I fall down on this so many times in a day that I completely understand when the children get distracted. I endeavour to bring them back cheerfully and without guilt, so they will learn to do it themselves eventually.


**

No comments:

Post a Comment