Wednesday, November 4, 2015

What About Maths?



I heard an "unschooler" say    " I can't stand it when people say "Oh yes, I unschool, except for math" - you can unschool math too!  You don't need a curriculum!"

This attitude was rather sad to me because unschooling, or, as I prefer to call it "Natural Learning" really is whatever comes naturally to YOUR child.   And if a child asks for a maths book, then get one!!

I understand what they mean - there is no NEED for a maths curriculum.  But I would add - unless it suits you and your child.  

We use Math-U-See from around age 8 or 10 or 12, depending on the child - and we are going through the book in the order suggested (because Mr Steve Demme has worked out a good order!) - however, we often do every second question, or I might decide that a child really understands something very well, and skip an entire section.  I don't want to kill any joy they may have in figuring out exciting relationships that numbers have.

Just recently, on our Facebook page, someone mentioned their musings over how much maths was enough to be going on with.

I totally understand this - I had this question uppermost in my mind when I was at school.  Why wasn't there a class called "Just Enough Maths To Get You By".  I didn't want to know about trig, algebra, the boring bits of geometry ...  

And subsequently, because I didn't want to know, I have forgotten it all.    It would have been far more profitable for me to spend those confusing and dark hours on something else.

As our older boys approached the sort of 15 - 16 age I looked at what maths they knew, and what else I should add.  A bit of research revealed that there are many people preferring to do "Consumer Math" which covers basics as well as percentages, fractions, loans, mortgages, paying bills, bank account stuff,  etc.  

Now that I know about this I fit discussions about these things naturally into our lives, in relevant places, so when the children become interested we can build onto the knowledge they already have stored away.

A child with a love of numbers will want more input!   A child who just needs to get by will learn when they are ready if they are being involved in your everyday life.  If you feel strongly about times tables, then give it a go.  Don't flog it to death though, you may spoil any future enjoyment your child could have.  If YOU learn a times table song (just one song, to start with), and sing it (to yourself, loudly enough for others to hear) in the car, or whilst washing up, then small people will enjoy the song, learn the "words" and you will have saved them (and yourself) hours of drudgery that may have occurred if you had tried to force the facts into their brain.

It has been shown time and time again, that a child raised in a healthy natural learning environment is able, very quickly, when older to learn whatever skills and facts they need to pursue a chosen career path.  There is no need to labour these things during childhood.  Strew the path with lovely things, keep your relationship sweet, respect them, and involve them (appropriately) in things that are going on in real life.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment