Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Building a Respectful Relationship



My dearest readers.

Just wanted to share a wonderful event that happened today.   I went to the vacuum cleaner shop in Nelson (PLEASE go to Godfreys if you want to buy a new vacuum cleaner!  It will be well worth it) and whilst I was there my children were lovely.  The shop was not busy, there was no loud music and so the ones who came in with me were able to cope.

When I made my new purchase and was getting everyone into the van a young man from the shop approached me and asked, if I didn't mind, if he could ask a question.

I was delighted!   I didn't care what he was going to ask, I was just delighted at once - although I didn't know why!!

Well, he said that he noticed my children were very well-behaved and obedient, and he had a son of 5 years old, and he wanted to know how I was raising my children.

Those of you readers who know me will understand how this blessed me so very, very deeply.

I was able to have a chat with him about teaching character skills, and life skills, then academics will come naturally. 

Also, God gave me an illustration to share with him about RESPECT towards your child.

I said something like this to him:

"If your child says "I'm hungry" - it is respectful to ACKNOWLEDGE their feelings, not dismiss them.  So you might say "You're hungry?  I understand that.  I can't get anything for you to eat right now because we're in town, but as soon as we get home I can give you a banana."  Or something like that.   You can't give them everything they want, but you can ACKNOWLEDGE their feelings, not brush them off, or disagree with them   If we build a respectful relationship it will be a good relationship."

I was very blessed that God gave me those words to share.

Also, I was glad I remembered we had some cards printed with this website on - so maybe this young man and his wife are reading this.  If so, then bless you both sweet parents - I pray you will find support for the exciting journey of parenting ahead of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment