Wednesday, August 19, 2015

CELEBRATING THE SEASON

For a few years now I've been looking for a resource to teach us about the seasons.  Not just the four seasons, but the intricacies of every little bit of each season.   I haven't found anything suitable, and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to make it!

 We were reading a children's story once about a kid that was born on a farm (kid being baby goat - NB my mother taught me that young people are children, not kids, and I stick to that!) - well, the kid was born on the farm, and at the same time the farmer was picking apples.  Something seemed a bit odd, so I thought about it ... kids are normally born in either mid-winter (although that is not the best idea) to early summer (unless the buck has escaped his paddock ... but I don't think that would happen in a children's story), and apples are picked in late summer through to late autumn ...

When I think of all the seasonal knowledge that country folks of old had I am sad we are losing the ability to remember when things happen during the year.

I wanted the children to be able to remember when our favourite foods were in season, when lambs were born, why we like spring and autumn so much ...

And so last year in September we started our "Seasons" poster.

It's been really fun adding things as they happen - seasonal doings plus family events.



Here are some of our entries:

September:  early spring
willow trees start to get leaves
lots of pollen
mandarins finish
spring bulbs flowering
swallows visiting

December:  early summer
heavy rain
lots of bees
tree fell on driveway
picnic area is lovely and shady and cool


February:  late summer
Daddy cut trees down
bird scaring guns going off in raspberry gardens over the back
very windy
we got a piano
making small hay bales with the machine Daddy made

April:  mid autumn
first snow on mountains
wasps!  horrors!
collecting leaves for raised garden
lots of fallen apples with wasps and chickens


July:   mid winter
first calves
weather bitterly cold
still planting trees
paradise ducks
we all had colds

I encourage you to have a go at this - we're getting ready to make another one for the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment