Thursday, August 13, 2015

A PLAY FOR ONE ACTOR OR ACTRESS

Picture Just recently our daughter has been going through a "I want to put a play on" phase.   None of the little boys have been willing to join with her on this venture, so far, so we looked for some "one person plays".   Nothing suitable.  As usual.  

However, last week she performed her first play for us - "The Parable Of The Lost Coin".  The set was delightful, the acting perfect, and of course, the actress was stunning.

This week she is working on a play that I whipped up for her during quiet time today whilst she held the baby.

In case any of your children are looking for a one person play, perhaps this might encourage them to start.

Happy acting!


Stage is empty except for chair and table. On table is small cup with a candle in it.

  (actor looks off stage, speaking, as if to other actors just leaving the stage)


ok then, see you later. Pardon? (cups ear)


Yes, yes, I'll meet you about 7. I just have to stay behind and practice a little more. The director was NOT happy with me tonight, just give me half an hour …


(laughs as if someone said something funny)


… I know! You wouldn't think so would you!! Ok, sure, see you.


(turns back towards a chair on the stage.)


Right. I am going to do this over and over until I can get it right. I really don't think I warmed up enough tonight, no wonder I was in trouble for getting my lines wrong.


  Oh – I know what the problem is … the chair is too far away from the table.


(fiddles around with the chair, putting it on different angles, standing back, looking at it, moving it again)


That's better, yes.


(sits down on chair, stands up, moves it again, sits down)


Right – oh, and the table didn't have a cloth on it! That's what put me off! Where was that cloth last night? Did someone take it home to wash … I can't remember – OH! I see it. Yes, yes, yes, now … here we go.


(takes the cup and candle off the table, puts them on the chair, spreads the cloth square-wise puts everything back on, sits on the chair. Looks at the table, leans arm on table.)


Dramatically The trouble with you Perciville - OH!


(stands up quickly, removes the cup and candle, puts them on the chair)


The cloth was the other way!! Of course, now it's better. Yes, much better. And the cup went there, and the candle was there, but it was lit of course, nevermind I can just pretend


  (squints at candle)


  Yes, I can pretend … or should I light it?


(rushes off stage, comes back with a large bag, rustles around in bag, can't find what she wants)


Hmph! Alright I'll pretend.


(Throws bag to the side, not realising the handle is sticking out)


(sits on the chair. Looks at the table, leans arm on table. Pauses)


Dramatically The trouble with you Perciville is that – OH NO!


(hits table with palm of hand)


Now I've forgotten the next bit. Where's the script?


(Jumps up and goes to run off-stage but gets foot tangled in bag strap and lands flat on face)


ARGH! Oh dear, at least nobody saw me.


(looks up in horror over the heads of the audience)


Oh, hello! I thought everyone had gone



(gets up, brushing herself off, forced laughter, picking up bag, sorting things out, moving chair)


no, no I'm fine, just a little spill, really, quite fine, no problem, yes, that's right, they're all going to the library and I'm going to meet them there – just wanted to practice a bit more, get it right – you know, yes that's right opening night tomorrow. Ok, thanks then. See you later!


(waits till she is sure they have gone then sits down again in the chair and stares into space for a second).


That's right! I've got it now .. finally. Ok


Dramatically The trouble with you Perciville is that one never quite knows when you are telling the truth.


(Breaks out of character - jumps up from chair! Clapping hands and then packing everything off the table into the bag)


Hurray!! I did it, I got it right. I was brilliant. I am READY for opening night!! Off the library to celebrate!


(drops the candle, doesn't notice, knocks over the chair, doesn't notice, puts bag down to turn light off, and leaves bag there by accident. Exits stage)

No comments:

Post a Comment